Monday, April 8, 2013

Walking Disaster more Beautiful

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire.

I want to start this review by saying how much I love the cover art on this one.  Absolutely gorgeous. 

Okay. 

Have you ever read a book and liked it but didn't know why?  Beautiful Disaster was that book for me.  It's Walking Disaster as told from the heroine's POV.  I literally could not put it down.  When I learned they were coming out with another Disaster book I was skeptical.  How would this be climatic?  I already know what happens.  Would it be as enjoyable?

Well I wasn't wrong, but I wasn't right either.  I loved Walking Disaster and I know exactly why.  Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox.  

He is a great hero.  Now, wait, before you all start jumping up and down screeching about his personality lets break it down.  Is he a little crazy?   Yes.  Does he go overboard with the jealousy and anger?  Yes, absolutely.  Do I still find him hot?  You betcha.

Travis is an old soul.  With the loss of his mother at a young age, he learned early on that you can't always get what you want.  He didn't want his mom to die, as he stated it in the beginning, "We need her more than Jesus does."

And his reaction to Abbi.  I loved it.  There is an instant connection on his part and for whatever reason, she calms him.  He doesn't understand it, only that she does.  She's his lifeboat is a stormy sea.  This is something I totally understand.  That one person who seems to make the rest of it seem normal, even when it's not.

Do I think he could have been somewhat less dramatic.  Sure, but then my heart wouldn't have leaped from my chest as often as it did.  Let's face it, when your 19 and 20 love is all about the drama. And like the first book, there is plenty of that here.

There were moments during this read I ached for him.  They clearly had communication issues and maybe part of that, for me at least, was I did read the first book from Abbi's POV.  If I were to get a do-over, I would read Walking Disaster and leave it at that.  This perspective was a much better read and I gave the first one four stars!

I also appreciated the Epilogue and that we got to see where these characters went in life.  It's always nice to get closure.  But now I'm wondering if were going to see the rest of the Maddox boys get their own stories?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I haven't read this yet as I was concerned about not liking it. But, I think I might have to change my mind and pick it.