Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I give good party - Almost

In May I co-hosted a baby shower. 

Said baby has arrived.  Actually she got here in July. 

But it has taken me this long to get the book completed.  Yeah, I did a commemorative book to remind Mom and Maddy (that's the baby in the belly here in the picture) how that special day went.  It turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.  Hey, it's my blog, I can boast if I want to.

Anyway, I thought I would share some pics. 

Here is Mom...we made her queen for day.  How can you tell?  The crown, silly.

She had a thrown and everything.

Well of course she did.  You can't be queen with out a crown and a thrown.  We threw in a sash for good measure too.


I made the baby cake.  I thought, "what the heck...how hard can it really be?"  Okay, I will tell you.  It can be hard.  And of course I didn't pick any easy cake either; even though the web site that I found it on said it was fairly simple.  Yeah, maybe if your a BAKER!

But Mom liked it and she was touched that I went to all that trouble.  Here's a tip.  If you ever decide to take on the making of homemade fondant.  Do it a couple of days in advance.  You will need the time to let it set up so you can roll it out for your pattern.
 
Don't laugh.  Oh, alright you can go ahead and laugh.  Half the ladies that came kept giving me those looks as if to say, "You poor thing.  You really thought you could do it huh?"

Yes, I learned my lesson.  But on the bright side the centerpiece was a diaper cake that turned out much better.  Here's another shot of that.  In fact the Captain and I both agree I need to let him do all of the baking in the future.  The only reason I couldn't get him to volunteer for this job was because "he ain't crazy."  His words not mine.

Besides the disaster that was the cake, the day turned out pretty well.  We welcomed the spring/summer season the right way.  In style.  Sadly, it's coming to an end.  The days are getting shorter and my boating season is almost over.  On the bright side, the book is done and I have a great present for our Mom.  See, I can always find that silver lining.  Or in this case pink.
 

 








3 comments:

Linda G. said...

That looks like a lovely party! That centerpiece is gorgeous. As for your cake...well, that makes a great story, doesn't it?

Congrats to the happy mom! :)

Jessica Lemmon said...

Oh my, fondant...never would I dare. Did it at least taste good? Congrats to Mom & baby!

abby mumford said...

the only thing i know about fondant is that the bakers on reality tv always seem to grumble and gripe about it, so BRAVO to you for attempting it! that baby sounds very well loved by all.