Monday, May 9, 2011

Be careful what you ask for

Well inevitably it has happened again.  

I was in the middle of the edit for the story I was so hot and heavy for last weekend and suddenly I heard a new voice in my head.  He was very insistent.  He had a story to tell and he wanted me to get it all down.  

I tried explaining to him that Finn had my attention right then.  But he didn't like it.  He explained his name was Cutter and his story was important too, and if I would just pay attention for a few minutes I would understand.

I tried turning up the music.  He didn't like what I was listening to.  Suddenly the music that had inspired my last writing frenzy was not good enough.  He suggested something else.  Grudgingly I changed the music.  

That was not a good idea.  Because it was like opening a flood gate and suddenly I couldn't shut Cutter up.  He wanted to tell me his story and he wasn't going to leave me alone until I listened.  To the whole thing.  

My listening process involves a keyboard so I was up until the wee hours of the morning "listening" to Cutter.  (Who by the way is actually very charming, when he is not being so pigheaded.)  I was only able to condense it into about 5300 words, and even as I write this post this morning and get ready for my work day he is still at it; trying to get my attention.  He even offered up chocolate.  That is just so unfair.  

So now I have this long day in front of me, where I have work I need to complete and a hero in my head-a really hot one-who is not going to rest until he thinks I have a good handle on his story.  

When I was praying for my writing mojo to come back I had no idea it was going to come at me 75 miles an hour and plow me over with a semi.  God, I love my life!

3 comments:

Linda G. said...

Oooh, I already like this Cutter guy. Sounds like my kind of character! :)

Anne Gallagher said...

Isn't that always the way. Full speed ahead. Well, you can tell Cutter for me, I love his name. Very sexy. And mysterious.

abby mumford said...

ditto what linda and anne said.

my only advice? buckle up!