Monday, August 15, 2011

Going the Distance

I had a conversation with a lovely young women that has met that special someone.  She is in love.  For years she has been asking me how did I know?  When I met the Captain, how did I know he was the one?

Like any smart women I went with the standard patent answer; you just do.

Because really, that is how it worked.

She laughed.  And went on to explain why that couldn't possibly be the right answer.  First of all there had to be something that attracted me to him?  Well duh, of course there was.  His chiseled good looks.  Those electric eyes that look like blue flames when he is in an amorous mood.  That smoking hot body.  That's right I said it, boy's butt is so tight you can bounce a quarter off it. 

Too much information?

Seriously, it wasn't just his good looks that convinced me he was the man of my dreams.  The one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.  Quite simply, it was how I felt in his company.  That magic, make-my-heart-beat-at-the-speed-of-light-think-I-could-fly feeling that started that day some twenty years ago and has never left.

Then she asked if I knew why I was one of the lucky ones.  Lucky ones?  What?  You know, how some women are lucky enough to find that one person they are meant to spend the rest of their lives with?  How did I get to be one of those women?  Honestly, I don't consider myself lucky.  I consider myself a hard worker and lets be clear here, marriage is the hardest job you'll ever have. 

Recently another friend said if she had met her husband later in life and not when she was twenty, she doesn't know if she would have been so courageous to have leaped.  Me, I think I agreed for about a minute.  Then I remembered that no one has ever loved, challenged, encouraged, infuriated, supported and exhilarated me all at the same time quite like the Captain has.  

And in the end love is ALWAYS worth the risk.