Thursday, February 28, 2013

Always and Forever by Karla Nellenbach

Always and Forever...

as per Amazon

Mia's first reaction is outright disbelief. Obviously, a mistake has been made. Sixteen-year-old girls don't die. But, when the diagnosis is confirmed, she dives headlong into anger. If she has to die, why should it be of cancer? In fact, anything would be preferable to cancer. Better for her to say when, where, and especially how.

Determined to meet death on her own terms, Mia devises scheme after scheme to get the job done. A “fall” down the basement stairs, driving her car off a bridge, and even a dance with a train all end in her survival.

And through it all, Mia keeps her family and friends at arms' length with her destructive and hurtful behavior. With each failed suicide attempt and burned relationship, she slowly realizes that it’s not the dying that she’s afraid of, but the life she’ll be leaving behind. Now, that life is in a shambles. As time begins to slip through her fingers and death is upon her, Mia fights to rebuild the bridges she has destroyed, but can she do it before the clock runs out?


I need to preview my review of this book by saying Karla and I have built a relationship through Twitter and Facebook that includes snark, sass and  sarcasm.  In fact, we don't know how to relate to each other in any other way.  I actually count her as one of my good friends.  What does that say about me.

Okay on that note, this book slayed me.  From the beginning.  My emotions zig-zagged all over the place.  I got angry for Mia.  I got angry at Mia.  And then I got mad at Karla.  You'll have to read the book to find out why.

Always and Forever. Those words mean something different when you have been diagnosed. For the second time.

Karla Nellenbach takes us on a journey in her debut novel with a cast of characters that stay with you long after you have turned the last page. Showing us that the ties that bind do really last a lifetime, even when your lifetime isn't as long as it should be. 


By the way, you will need Kleenex with this read.  Have you read it?  Did you love it?  Hate it?  Tell me. 

No comments: