Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Captain Kid and Bon Jovi

So for those of you who were not privy to this, I am a huge Jon Bon Jovi fan.  In fact I think I may be his biggest fan EVER!  And just for the record I am not a recent convert, no, I am a tried and true, from back in the day, before there was a Bon Jovi and I have the aqua fringed leather jacket to prove it.

When I got married it was with the stipulation that if I ever got a change at Jon I was taking it.  Captain Kid was very understanding, which was quite surprising.   It was almost as if he didn’t think I really stood a chance anyway.  I have no idea what that is all about.  I know, deep down know, that if I had had the chance to meet him he would realize his mistake in marrying his high school sweetheart and beg me to run away with him. (No offense Dorthea.)

Over the years Jon has sort of become the yard stick to which my love for my husband was measured.

Me: “Honey, thanks for taking care of (fill in the blank).  You’re the best.  I love you.”

Captain Kid:  “Do you love me a lot?”

Me: “Of course!”

Captain Kid: “More than Jon Bon Jovi?”

Me:  “Don’t push your luck.”

So when a friend of ours was getting married in Vegas my husband made arrangements to get us tickets for the “Have a Nice Day” Tour.   I was blown away.  Now I need to clarify, Captain Kid is not a Bon Jovi fan.  He fell more into the category of thinking they were a chick band.  So you can imagine my surprise when he gives me not one, but two tickets and announces he is going with me.

Now, these weren’t just any tickets.  They were on the floor, center stage, so close I could reach up and touch him.  It was our anniversary and Captain Kid thought it would be a great gift.  Hello!  He was so right!

The concert was amazing.  I was on my feet through the whole show screaming…er…singing at the top of my lungs.  I knew every song and I swear I grabbed my husband at least fifty times that night  yelling in his ear, “I can’t believe we are actually here.  This is the best present. EVER!”

He got me a t-shirt and a black hooded sweatshirt with the logo on the sleeve and Bon Jovi emblazoned across the front as a souvenir.  I still have both.

As we were leaving the concert that night we had the following conversation.

Captain Kid: “So did you enjoy the concert?”

Me:  Gushing and bopping up and down no longer capable of standing still.  “I did.  I really, really, really did.  Thank you that was the best present you have ever given me.”

Captain Kid: “So, if you had to choose right now between the two of us I win right?”
Me:  “Uh, well, hmmmm?”

Captain Kid: “Let’s face it I can do something for you he can’t.”

Me:  “What’s that?”

Captain Kid:  Pointing to himself with both thumbs.  “I can take you to a Bon Jovi concert and watch it with you.  He can’t ever do that.”

Man has a point.  Sorry Jon, but I am keeping this one.

No comments: